Monday, December 14, 2015

How to Become a Video Game Tester and What the Requirements Are


I’ve been testing video games for the past two years now I’m only 21 years old and I stated when I was 19. I never really gave it much thought to it until I decided to see what people were saying about video game testers. I was surprised what I found online because there were so many scams about how to become a video game tester and a lot of wrong information.


Well that’s when I decided to take some action and help my fellow gamers out so they won’t get mislead with bad information. I’ll just give you a basic guide on how to become a video game tester; this simple summary will include what a video game tester does and what the requirements are.


What does a video game tester do?


A lot of information found online about game testers are completely misleading and inaccurate. For example, most websites state that game testers can work at home and get paid to have fun and play games, this is false. What a game tester actually does is go to the company they’re hired by and go to what is known as the beta room in most companies. It is basically set up with everything you will need to test the game completely. Once you start playing the game you have to test it for bugs, glitches, errors, etc. So you are basically running around the levels, jumping against corners and walls, etc.


I’ll admit that it is still fun, but just not as much fun as actually playing the game since it’s a job. You have to remember that there is no free meal in life and these companies are paying you a salary so that you can save them money by reporting any and all bugs. I can almost guarantee you that as a game tester you will not work from home. You have to remember that you are testing games that haven’t been released yet which is why companies make you sign a confidentiality agreement which can sometimes be the size of a dictionary (yikes I know). This basically states that you will not tell any rival companies or in that case anyone about what you encounter during the job.


What are the requirements to becoming a game tester?


I too asked this question many times before I started as a game tester and like I stated before several websites lie and state that you don’t need to have any experience at all which isn’t true at all. This is a normal job and therefore the more experience you have the better chance you have landing the job. So what exactly is required to land the job? First you have to have a passion for gaming and I strongly recommend applying to companies that match your criteria. For example, I love first person shooters and MMORPGs which is why I applied to activision blizzard because they offer both fields. Another requirement is that you have to be at least 16 years old which is another lie that the websites about becoming a game tester state. They state that you have to be at least 18 years old and this isn’t true at all you can start as soon as 16 years old I have even seen kids ages 10-14 participate in beta testing, but I won’t go into that now.





How to Become a Video Game Tester and What the Requirements Are

No comments:

Post a Comment